We are in Aransas Pass, TX helping folks affected by Hurricane Harvey.  This is where the eye came through.  There's a lot of damage still and many needs.  We'll be helping with some rebuilds.  We need YOU!   Click here to learn about joining us in the field.  If you can help with our expenses, click "Donate Now" at the top of the page.  Please keep us and those affected in your prayers that all would be drawn to Jesus.
Click on the picture to view a few photos from our response, to view more click here.  To view YouTube Videos click here
We were working at the Bowery Mission when Tropical Storm Debby hit Florida. The Sarasota area was
spared, but Pasco County, which is north of Clearwater, received a soaking and was declared a federal
disaster area.  We were available to respond after the 4th of July holiday, and started making plans to
help. Unfortunately, the holiday made it very difficult to make connections.  Trying to put everything
together was a little frustrating, but we gathered a group to go up on Saturday to work and to evaluate
whether or not there was a need for further assistance.

Annie, Ben, John, Gina and Paul joined us. The morning was mostly trial and error. One area that a contact
told us about was still underwater, so we were unable to help there.  On the way out of that neighborhood,
Curt noticed an establishment where there were many cars. He walked in to find out if anyone needed help
and came out with two names-Speedy, whose house had had fifteen inches of water in it, and Jeanie, who
needed a tree moved to the road. Since we had already promised to meet someone else first, we made
plans to return later in the day. As it turned out, our prearranged meeting was a smaller job -only a few
things needed to be moved and wiped down, and we were done by noon.At Speedy’s, the dry wall had to be
taken out to the four-foot level, and every porous item had to be thrown away.  Mold had already begun to
grow, which was even more evident inside the walls as the dry wall came off.  We made a lot of progress
that day, but there was more work to be done, plus Jeanie’s house.  Calvary Chapel Palm Harbor offered us
a place to stay, so we made plans to return on Monday and stay for the week.

Daniel, a newlywed firefighter from CCSRQ, joined us on Monday.  He was a great help as we finished
tearing out the drywall in Speedy’s house.  Next, we swept and vacuumed and then set up fans and
dehumidifiers to completely dry the house.  On Tuesday, we returned to Speedy’s house to pick up our fans
and then spray so that the mold does not return.  Then we went to Jeanie’s house. It was just the two of
us, so we were very happy to engage the help of Jeanie’s 21-year old grandson, Wesley.  We moved the logs
to the road, and then put a tarp on the roof.  We had to stop for about an hour while a big thunderstorm
went through.  Finally, we finished, and we had just loaded the last item on the trailer when the rain started
again. Jeanie gave a donation and we were blessed that the amount she gave was exactly the amount of gas
we needed when we went to fill the truck!

On Wednesday, we were once again on our own.  We drove around in the morning in an area that was
supposedly hit hard but couldn’t find any work.  We ended up at a Habitat for Humanity and found a job
repairing a wheelchair ramp.  The sky was getting darker and darker as we were wrapping things up, and
once again, we just finished packing up when the big rain drops started falling.  We called it a day early so
that we could go to church at Palm Harbor.  The church had blessed us with a place to stay and a mini
kitchen.  They were kind and hospitable and we enjoyed fellowshipping with them.

Thursday brought three helpers-Ben again, and Dana and Justin. This time, we finally found an area that
needed help.  We met Jim as he was sweeping his driveway.  He had received about a foot of water in the
house and had been busy tearing out the drywall.  The county had just come by and picked up the debris
that had been piled up on the side of the road.  In the course of helping Jim, we met his neighbors, Harry
and Joyce.  They too had about twelve inches of water in their home.  On Friday, we were joined by Annie
and Doug.  Saturday looked like no one would be there to help out.  We were feeling a little pressure
because we had to leave for New York on Monday, so we did not have a choice as to how long we could
stay, and there was still a lot of work to do.  At one point, we were sure that it would just be the two of us
trying to finish the two houses (and that was really bad since I had hurt my back picking up an empty box;
yes, empty!), but the Lord was good, and by the end of the day, Annie and Doug had decided to return to
help (and when they returned, they brought homemade cinnamon rolls and banana bread! mmm), and Gina
came back, and John also signed up.  We got both houses finished except for spraying to kill mold, but we
gave the homeowners instructions on what to do. Joyce and Harry were concerned about what would
happen to their house, and about what FEMA would (or would not) do.  We offered to pray for them, and
they gladly let us. We asked that the Lord would provide for them in a way that could only be the Lord, and
that they would praise His name for His provision.  We hope we will hear good news from them, but we
don’t always get to hear follow up news.  After a long day of work, everyone-Jim and Joyce and Harry and
our crew- went to Steak and Shake for dinner.  We were all sweaty and dirty and tired, but enjoyed the
time around the table.

The nice thing about working close to home was having people from our own church join the effort.  Since
we are away so much, it is easy to sometimes feel disconnected from our church home.  We really enjoyed
getting to know the people that we have not worked with before like Annie and Doug, Dana, Justin, John
and Daniel.  And it was good to work with our old friends like Gina and Paul and Ben.  One night, Annie and
Doug joined us for dinner at the church before they headed home, and another night, Dana, Ben, and Justin
stayed for dinner.  Even though we were tired and dirty, we all lingered around the table enjoying

We finished working Saturday night and went home after dinner. In all, we had twelve volunteers and
worked over 220 hours in one week. 

We appreciate all your prayers and ask that you would also pray for us-for direction, for provision, and for
our relationship to The Lord & each other.  Let us know how we can pray for you!